We want to thank everyone for their support in the reopening of our Academies so far. It has been wonderful to welcome back so many of our students and we look forward to seeing the final year groups return over the next few days.
As you may be aware, there has been much coverage in the media regarding the wearing of face coverings in schools. From Tuesday, 1 September, all students and staff in our secondary and sixth form academies will be required to wear face coverings in corridors and communal areas. We will not expect our primary pupils to wear face coverings, but of course if any pupil would like to wear a face covering they will be supported to do so.
Sarah Findlay-Cobb, the Trust’s CEO, has published two letters (below) that further explains the Trust’s position on face coverings for our primary and secondary Academies. Additional information for those wearing face coverings can also be found below.
Face coverings information
What will my child need?
Your child will need to come to the Academy with:
- A face covering. A reusable one is recommended so it can be used more than once during the day. If this isn’t an option, they will need to bring several single-use face coverings each day. Their face covering should be secured to their head using ear loops only.
- A sealable plastic bag to keep their face covering in when they’re not using it so it doesn’t contaminate (or get contaminated by) other surfaces.
Where can I get a face covering?
Reusable and single-use face coverings are available to buy in shops or online.
When will face coverings need to be worn?
Students and staff will be required to wear face coverings in malls, hallways, corridors and whilst waiting in lines.
How should my child use their face covering?
Watch the World Health Organisation video below with your child so they know how to wear their face covering safely.
- Their face covering needs to cover their nose and mouth when they’re wearing it.
- They shouldn’t touch the front of the face covering or the part that’s touched their mouth or nose.
- They should wash their hands before and after touching the face covering, including to take it off or put it on.
- They should store it in an individual, sealable plastic bag between uses.
- If it becomes damp, they shouldn’t wear it, and they should replace it carefully.
- Single-use face coverings should be disposed of after use (not in a recycling bin).
How often will it need to be washed?
Reusable face coverings will need to be washed at the end of each day, ready for your child to wear the next day.
You can wash and dry reusable face coverings with normal laundry – follow the washing instructions for the fabric and use normal detergent.
What if my child is exempt from wearing a face covering?
They won’t need to wear one. Please ensure the Academy is aware if your child is exempt so that we don’t ask them to wear a face covering.